SailNet Community - View Single Post - Condensation inside sailboat...
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Condensation inside sailboat...

If you insulate, you have to consider an possible gap between the insulation and the hull. You may keep condensation from forming in the cabin, but you don't want it in hidden places either. Spray foam naturally avoids this problem, or you must fully glue down foam insulation to eliminate that void.

In the end, I could not possible imagine a retro fit that would properly insulate our boat. Dehumidifier is the only practical solution.

In the winter, knock on wood, I haven't noticed a problem. We are covered with a Fairclough cover that breaths and keeps her dry. We pull a thru hull near the mast of the mast, so incoming rain water has a place to go. While I think it just makes me feel better, I spread about 8 refillable Damp Rid containers around the boat. After a winter, they will each have about a cup of water in them. For months of use, either the boat is unnaturally dry to they don't really take much out of the air. I also keep them over sinks, etc, in the event the water freezes and breaks the container. I also put Kanberra Gel around to control mold. They freeze and stop working when not needed at those temps, but thaw and begin to dissipate when temps rise along with moisture levels. I think, from a couple of years experience now, they work best in the closed environment of winter storage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook