SailNet Community - View Single Post - I am soooooo pissed right now!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
SA, this is an addition to a previous thread on the subject, but I couldn't find it. I explained it all in that one. I got an estimate for 300-400 bucks and then contacted the guy. He wanted to get his own estimate, so I said go ahead. He went to the most expensive yard. So, I am getting more estimates. I agree about not contacting insurance. And it wasn't "ramming speed" (but I do accept the D-day of boating nickname) We were barely moving, docking in a slip that really should only be for 30 footers (his boat), and a gust came up and pushed us over. The admiral was waiting to jump off the bow and by the time she got over to the other side to fend off, it was too late. We hit very lightly, but the wind pushed my stern around and we rolled off the transom lip, bending and cracking it. Its the age old debate. If you come in slow, you will do less damage when you hit something, but if you come in too slow, you are susceptible to wind and current and may still hit something.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 04-15-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook