SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: How to go for 1 or 2 year cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVarlope View Post
That is my big question,the size.
-- SNIP --
That boat was updated in 08 for cruising so this could keep the cost of refit down.

Is it worth it to look at a 45 years old boat???
LOOK AT EVERY BOAT YOU CAN!

Our Nor'Sea 27 is BIG inside with two cabins that we lived in full time for years. And had two 2 big boys in the aft cabin for a time. BUT, you won't see one in any good condition for 10 K. BUT you might find a used one in the $ 30~40K range.

Use a bit of caution when a boat is advertised as recently being fitted out for cruising. The "upgrades" done to the boat was not by you and MAY have been done by some one who has no concept of blue water cruising!! I have seen boats "outfitted" by some wired people!!!! I saw one fine boat that was outfitted like a submarine! Complete with round hatches instead of a normal companion way, the mast cut down to half size and other strange stuff on deck. The guy said he wanted to make sure he was safe and didn't care about performance. Outfitting is a very personal thing.

ONCE more.... I would suggest you look at EVERY BOAT! And the age seems to make the most difference in the lesser built boats. Our Nor'Sea has thousands of open blue water miles and thousands more of fresh water miles on it. There are still NO stress cracks to be seen any place on it! I have seen MUCH younger boats with lots of stress cracks. I am NOT saying that the stress cracks are structural, but I do consider them an indicator to the build of the craft.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook