SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014

Tallswede is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Don, I'm right there with you. Burnt out from working, eligible for retirement, have some savings but don't want to run out of money. The whole inflation thing gives me the heebie jeebies. I know I can survive barring anything drastic happening but want to do more than survive and wifey is not interested in constant camping. So you see I've been reading a couple of the active threads concerning cruising on a budget here and do believe $3K per month would be pretty good. I have the dream to do the great loop, seeing as many of the sights along the way as we can so I know it will take a little money to do it what with hitting a marina regularly and other sight seeing and travel. I have yet to decide on a boat to do this with but am leaning toward a smaller sail boat 27'-32' as I also want to do the Bahamas and Carribean eventually. I'm also very drawn to smaller trawlers too especially for the Loop. Another possibility I have considered is a trailer sailer. Something like a Hunter 26/260 would be very economical and if we decided to do our cruising in seasonal legs we could trailer quickly to where we wanted to go and trailer back home if a hurricane or very cold weather threatned. I know with any of these options we could keep our cruising expenses at $3K per month under normal conditions. What has me nervous is whether we can do it and keep the house. Guess I'll have to sharpen my pencil up some more and do the math. If it was just myself I would go this year but I have to keep in mind the family responsibilities.

Kevin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook