SailNet Community - View Single Post - Magnetic Variance
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Magnetic Variance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Thanks, I'll check that book out. I just assumed that if I buy charts for any given area, the variance would be noted on it whether it was E or W.
It will be. I'm sorry. I thought I was more clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Most of my navigating has been piloting by landmarks or by GPS. I'm trying to self-teach myself on the subject. Using electronics isn't all that difficult but I want to learn how to do it without having to totally rely on them. Would you recommend Calder's book as a good source to learn not just how to read a chart but how to figure course, set, drift, accounting for currents, tides, etc. and all those other things that I should know but don't yet know that I should know?
I don't remember offhand if it teaches you how to figure out your course with current set and drift. I think I left my copy on the boat in my nav bag. Boater's Bowditch has a brief explanation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook