SailNet Community - View Single Post - "Boat" vs. "Yacht"?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: "Boat" vs. "Yacht"?

a yacht is a boat ( or a ship ). it's just a boat ( or ship ) put to a certain usage; in this case a pleasure boat. i would specifically say that a yacht is a pleasure boat over a certain size, as compared to a dinghy; usually one that has sleeping accommodations. i can't think of any boat that is considered a yacht that doesn't have sleeping accommodations.

a working boat, like a skipjack, is not a yacht. although, if you converted one to just pleasure use, it would become a yacht.

i think the confusion is one of connotations. originally, if you owned a boat you had a practical reason for it. it worked for you.only the wealthy owned boats for pleasure use, alone. of course, since they were wealthy, they had large boats that you could sleep on or entertain on. after sailing boats lost relevance as working vessels, most sailing boats were yachts, outside of dinghies and the few working boats still sailing.

of course, thanks to fiberglass, most boats on the water, now, are for pleasure use...but most of them aren't owned by the wealthy. so, it has lead to a general confusion as to what is a yacht.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook