SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need someone to join me on a BVI charter in Feb or March
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014

Capn is on a distinguished road
Re: Need someone to join me on a BVI charter in Feb or March

Andrew,

If you are an experienced charterer, please excuse my comments below, which might be helpful to a newbie. Prices are based on boat size, type, location, length of charter, extra options, and timing, so we'd have to generally agree on specifics first.

BTW, I'm a monohull sailor - I don't want to sail on a cat. If that's a deal breaker, then thanks for your interest.

Other than that, yacht size would depend on the number of crew and relationships to determine how many cabins we'd need -- 2, 3, or 4. For example, A seven day charter of a Beneteau 393 with 3 cabins and 2 heads in the BVI might cost about $3,000-$3,500, depending on the charter company and the dates selected. A larger boat would cost more, and location would affect the cost. While Sunsail is a Class A company, it does have discounts for 'reef days' and returning captains. Charter companies have newer and older boats, which also affects price.

If you've chartered before, you know about all the other costs, insurance, clearance fees, provisions, moorings, etc.

I'm open to discuss the sailing location - BVI is lovely, but there's the USVI, and SVI, and the leeward islands.

It might make sense to use a charter broker to put this together. I've used them in the past -- it simplifies many things, avoids some shoals, and does not add any cost for the service. All we'd do is give the broker our parameters and let him come back with all the available options that might meet our needs. He can handle the financial arrangements, too, and provide itinerary guidance, if we go to an new area.

I've written some stuff about my background earlier in this thread. If we have more to talk about, first tell me a bit more about yourself and the others, then let's connect directly via email, then phone.

Thanks for your interest,
David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook