SailNet Community - View Single Post - Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Embedded Chain plate maint/replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Chaos View Post
The only neg effect moving the chains farther outside is on the ability to close haul, in this case it is only couple inches otherwise the plates are in the same location. The effect on the rig is to actually make it stronger... the base is wider. As to the cosmetics to each his own. The one absolute fact about glassed in plates is that they are 02 starved and water will get in there eventually, 30 years down the road, or 2 and along with that comes crevise corrosion. The only way to inspect these plates is to have gamma radiography done. $1500 just to inspect the plates, hmmm pass.
I've seen gamma shots of chains on a big Irwin and they weren't enough to really tell the state of them. You HAVE to remove them to know if they are O/K and I pretty well guarantee that, after 25 or 30 years buried under glass, at least some of them won't be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook