SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tayana 37 cutter vs. Allied Princess 36 ketch
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 04-16-2007
chris_gee

I think you need to be more precise on what you want the boat for - to yourself not us. Hope someday a longer trip is a bit vague. Like buy for what you realistically intend doing. If it is a liveaboard that's one thing. You might find the seabreeze a bit cramped for that relative to the others. There are reviews - look at the overhang 24' lwl and narrow beam.
If you might wander down the coast and maybe to the Bahamas any will do it.
The other point I suggest is that you really look at your total budget. The Seabreezes advertised are from 1965 at 20k to 1970 at 35K - in each case you get what you pay for, but even the more expensive one has a petrol motor and no real offshore gear. That costs the $$.
The Princess seems to come in at 72 for around 39k. I dont think the Tayana starts til 77.
I am not saying there will necessarily be a major difference between a 1966 and a 1977 boat per se but a boat that has been kept up to scratch will show it and both might need substantial refitting. In say 9 years it would have to be a pretty classic upgraded 50 year or even 39 year old boat to have much residual value.
Just remember that there are a lot of items eg sails rigging motor etc that may have to be replaced so it is final cost and value that counts.
A 35 k boat that costs 30k to refit may then sell for 45k. The 50 k boat that costs 15 may then sell for 55K.
It is pretty hard to find a boat that is cheap and good. If you are working on her for a few years, which is one choice, if you have the time, skill, and interest, is still time before you get the boat you want to use.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome