SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tayana 37 cutter vs. Allied Princess 36 ketch
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007
Banned

Alberg30 is on a distinguished road
I am a veteran of both fairly substantial refits and a fair number of offshore passages, some in pretty mean water here in Asia (e.g., South China Sea, Indian Ocean). To me, there's no difference between a coastal cruiser and a bluewater cruiser. If the boat isn't capable of handling a storm at sea, she shouldn't be out of the bay. There are plenty of instances where there's not time to find an appropriate harbor to escape bad weather and getting sea room is the only safe option. That turns every coastal cruiser into a potential bluewater boat.

Second, I'd never buy a sailboat with a petrol engine. That's a given. Many, if not most, of the Seabreezes on the market have been repowered with Weterbekes and Yanmars. I wouldn't consider one otherwise.

I'm single (divorced) with a 10-year-old son who lives with me half the time. So, accomodations should of course be comfortable, but I do intend to sail as often as I can - mostly near shore, but once annually or so down the coast, maybe to the Bahamas. Eventually, depending on the job, I will probably want to try something a bit more ambitious. In short, I want that option.

Last edited by Alberg30; 04-16-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook