SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, when you do your BVI cruise, are you planning on going via Grand Cayman/Jamaica, the thorny path or into the Atlantic, then south?

In regards to your genoa, I’d say keep it and get an extendable whisker pole. That combination will give you the widest set of options. You can always add a kite to this inventory. I am in the planning stages for my Mexico trip. I’m planning on bringing my Pentex laminate 130 genoa and whisker. If I had a 140, I’d bring that instead. I am planning on having one “junior helmsman” on board and I know that that guy won’t be up to flying a kite at night with any degree of proficiency. I’ve tried this before and found that the “juniors” tend to drive hotter angles at night, thus driving the boat off course. You spend the next watch getting the boat back on the rhumb line. Very inefficient. My plan is kite during the days and at night with the experienced helmsmen. Douse, and run wing on wing with the “junior” during the night. I should get an added benefit of a few hours of running really deep to boot. Remember those unhappy sailors on that recent Transpac – you don’t want to spend all your time untangling head stay wraps and mending the inevitable rips and tears that result.
Honestly, I don't really know what route we'll take yet. I've been researching that. Our first hop will be to Tampa - where we'll play around for the season, then leave the boat somewhere like Naples or something. From there, the idea is the Bahams for the next season - leave the boat - maybe in T&C. Then the BVIs the next season. Any advice you'd give on the best routes, I'll take it!

THANK YOU for the feedback on the kite. That means a lot coming from you. It's honestly low on my list, but I'd love to get one just to learn it. If I do, I will follow your advice. I've done a good deal of WoW in our off-shore races (we were in the non-spin class) and feel very comfortable with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook