SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is a Vang Really Useful on a mid to Large Boat?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Is a Vang Really Useful on a mid to Large Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I have a vang that I hate and consider virtually worthless. I'm considering removing it and am looking for opinions. I get that on a smaller boat, the vang is very useful to shape the main as the wind increases. But on the configuration shown below with the mid-boom sheeting, I wonder if it is of any use. Upwind, no matter how much tension I put on it (as shown: 4:1, now rigged as 8:1), there is no change. I can get some purchase, but it's minimal - maybe an inch or 2 on an 8:1 rig. The angles are horrendous and I see no realistic way to improve them. So why bother at all? Off the wind, I use a preventer attached to an eye on the outboard genoa track which is very effective at bringing the boom down.

Should I ditch the vang and stay with the preventer? This discussion is not about rigid vangs, it's about whether any vang can effectively shape a mid-size main with mid-boom sheeting.
With the setup you have, it does seem as though the vang fixing point on the boom is a long way aft...

Within the range of your traveller, a vang will do nothing for your sail shape. If you're happy with rigging a preventer every time you're off the wind, by all means get rid of the vang.

(Personal note: I don't currently have a vang - my boat has never had one - and although I'd like one, I find either (a) a preventer rigged like you mention for long periods or (b) a spare crewmember for short periods works well enough. )

Nice boat, BTW

Last edited by Classic30; 01-29-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook