SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is a Vang Really Useful on a mid to Large Boat?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Is a Vang Really Useful on a mid to Large Boat?

Thanks for the sanity check guys. The other reason that I'm considering getting rid of the vang is that I'm upgrading the traveler with a Garhauser unit. The original doesn't move as freely as it should (even after rebuilding the bearings in the car). And even with the traveler blocks at 4:1 it's still hard to move to windward in 20kts upwind - and the traveler is how we predominately trim the main. My mainsheet trimmer will love me….

So while I'm upgrading the traveler, I want to upgrade the mainsheet blocks. As it is now, the vang interferes with the mainsheet block on the boom. I've tried double blocks, and two singles but they clang and don't let the mainsheet travel as smoothly as I'd like. So if I don't need the vang, I'll get rid of it…..it's not like I can't put it back.

FYI - I upgraded the stock 4:1 to 8:1 by hooking the 4:1 to a line that passes through a single block on the boom. So 2:1 gets doubled to 8:1. Pretty cool and simple.

Quote:
It prevents the chance of an accidental goose-wing gybe.
I agree, that's why I hesitate and am questioning my logic.

Last edited by Sabreman; 01-30-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook