SailNet Community - View Single Post - Adding a auxiliary outboard.
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014

Zuma is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding a auxiliary outboard.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I fully intend to look after the 1GM10 which has just been overhauled and is running well and looks to continue to do so. I have read a great deal written by UK and Ireland circumnavigators about the likelihood of running over unmarked fishing lines and fouling the prop, particularly around the Irish coasts. And loss of motor power for one reason or another is the No 1 cause of rescue according to the RNLI. I am not looking for performance. I am just looking to be able to drop the motor and to use it to get back into somewhere where I could sort the situation out. I do take the point about cavitation and the need to position the motor correctly based upon the sprung bracket I have. . The motor will have a small portable tank with pipe connections which I will keep in a locker until needed. I think I will go ahead and fit it. I am going out today to look at the job before any final decision. Thanks again. And Oh yeah. I have got the sails to fall back on. Those are the floppy white things aren't they. (Sorry, couldn't resist ;-) )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook