SailNet Community - View Single Post - Extreme Cold
Thread: Extreme Cold
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014

HEXE is on a distinguished road
Re: Extreme Cold

I find anything other than a propane cookstove scary....
a coupe of years ago i ditched my stinky dickinson pacific and went with electric space heaters. Not a problem if I am hooked up to shorepower.
Does me no good if i am out and about

The electric heat did nothing for condensation really, i was having major issues with keeping enough air moving. to the point i would even hesitate making coffee. for fear of STEAM! you just back away from that rice cooker mate.

I went through alot of heaters... some died some i just didnt like.
the one i found the best was the vornado and the little ceramic heater made by holmes "not the plastic one the metal one" . they are compact and pump out lots of warm air.... the oil filled one i found worked ok if i put a box fan behind it.. but that is alot of space on a 30 foot boat.

This winter i got me a wallas dt30, its a little bigger than a breadbox and it works great "so far"... condensation is a thing of the past. I burn about a gallon of diesel a
day when its 30f out and around 2 gallons when its 0...

i have no insulation to speak of. some of that mylar bubble wrap in my cabinets and in
the v-berth.
i make cover every winter with pvc pipe frame and cover it with reinforced plastic, it saves that shoveling hassel, waking up to 2 feet of snow in your cockpit sux.

it will hold up to gale force winds with no problem... 60mph+ long drawn out gusts are common here in southeast alaska on a weekly basis. it feels that way sometimes...
the major disadvantage is that i am like robby benson "the boy in the plastic boat bubble" and chained to the dock all winter.. some of the best sailing days are anytime of year.
i have a plan to fix this problem in the coming year

this year is nice, warm and rainy around 35f with lows at night around 25... I can't imagine how those down south must
feel being tossed into the deep freeze out of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook