SailNet Community - View Single Post - Extreme Cold
Thread: Extreme Cold
View Single Post
post #40 of Old 01-30-2014
Re: Extreme Cold

I find anything other than a propane cookstove scary....
a coupe of years ago i ditched my stinky dickinson pacific and went with electric space heaters. Not a problem if I am hooked up to shorepower.
Does me no good if i am out and about

The electric heat did nothing for condensation really, i was having major issues with keeping enough air moving. to the point i would even hesitate making coffee. for fear of STEAM! you just back away from that rice cooker mate.

I went through alot of heaters... some died some i just didnt like.
the one i found the best was the vornado and the little ceramic heater made by holmes "not the plastic one the metal one" . they are compact and pump out lots of warm air.... the oil filled one i found worked ok if i put a box fan behind it.. but that is alot of space on a 30 foot boat.

This winter i got me a wallas dt30, its a little bigger than a breadbox and it works great "so far"... condensation is a thing of the past. I burn about a gallon of diesel a
day when its 30f out and around 2 gallons when its 0...

i have no insulation to speak of. some of that mylar bubble wrap in my cabinets and in
the v-berth.
i make cover every winter with pvc pipe frame and cover it with reinforced plastic, it saves that shoveling hassel, waking up to 2 feet of snow in your cockpit sux.

it will hold up to gale force winds with no problem... 60mph+ long drawn out gusts are common here in southeast alaska on a weekly basis. it feels that way sometimes...
the major disadvantage is that i am like robby benson "the boy in the plastic boat bubble" and chained to the dock all winter.. some of the best sailing days are anytime of year.
i have a plan to fix this problem in the coming year

this year is nice, warm and rainy around 35f with lows at night around 25... I can't imagine how those down south must
feel being tossed into the deep freeze out of nowhere.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome