SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making money with your sailing blog
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014

dylanwinter1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Making money with your sailing blog

having been blogging and youtubing since 2007 and I am starting to learn a bit

The sailing blog does not make me any serious money - I have tried adverts on there and a donate button

but sailors are not great advert clickers.

I have an Amazon link on there and a link for a UK harbours guide - they earn me around £50 a month

Youtube was at one time my main web earner - I have now had 30 million youtube views - they are worth around $1 per thousand

I have had six films get over a million hits - none of them about sailing

the highest hitter was 18 million hits on trucks

after that the subjects are trucks, trucks, tractors, starlings and flower pot heaters.

so that is worth around $30,000 -

or it would have been

sadly I got chucked out of adsense by a computer for unusual algorhythms

the story is here if you can be shagged - but there are thousands of youtube producers in the same boat

Duckworks - All boat design is a compromise - Rubbish

google now owns the first year of films I made

I now have around 700 sailing films up on youtube - the best hitting one is 15,000 hits - which would be worth around $15 - so not worth the three days it took to make

I did try Blip and vimeo but for me they do not work - sailors just cannot find them, they do not deliver the local bandwidth and they are harder to embed in forums so spreading the word is really hard

My son told me that youtube is the only platform that works and to give everything away on youtube and people will buy the DVDs, pay for the downloads, offer me journalism jobs and invite me to talk at sailing clubs

this made little sense to me... but I tried it and now I sell around 400 DVDs a year - I sell them for £15 each

but on that I pay postage, repro, jiffy bags, VATtax -

so about £10 a pop - not bad income but per hour spent at the desk it is truly awful

on the American/canadian ones I make 50 per cent of the $25 each

I hate it when an Aussie or Kiwi buys a DVD because I make bum all

Around 300 blokes pay $4.99 (for everything on the website) to download the films in HD so that they can watch them on their big screen TVs or to take them to their boats on the laptops. They get around 20 hours of decently made films for their $4.99

As for costs - I run and regularly kill some pretty good cameras, the editing gear is not cheap. I have space on an Amazon server that costs me around £50 a month - bang on what visit my harbour pays for the link on the pages

... the boat is now in Scotland so petrol costs last year were around £1,000, mooring, harbour and license fees were £1200, gear replacement £600.

so I make a loss every mile I sail even if you cost my time at zero

- but that is not really the point

I now earn some money as a sailing hack at £100 a 1000 words

and give talks at sailing clubs at £250 a time

basically the sailing more or less pays for itself

but I love sailing, I love making films, I love writing

so that leaves me shovelling pretty hard at the day job (two kids still at university). the day job is mostly creating content for small company websites - that involves writing copy, taking snaps and making small promo films.

As for a blog - people will look at a blog to see what happens next

at the moment I am trying to track down an old boat for the next part of the journey

I update the blog perhaps ten times a week - sometimes with just a curious video I saw soemwhere - sometimes about another bloggers efforts, sometimes about the marsh pirates I meet occasionally

people come back to it to see what is going to happen next

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to dylanwinter1 For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (02-01-2014)