View Single Post
post #26 of Old 01-30-2014
svzephyr44
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Very much appreciated Zephyr's input. Counter argument is wait until you need it before putting major improvements.
Actually it is not a counter argument. I agree with you completely. Not only for the big things but the little ones too. One mistake I made (out of a universe of thousands) was purchasing items because I would need them in the future. Charts - they get revised. Flares - they go out of date. Tow Insurance - your paying for 12 months. When I came back to the United States I had getting tow insurance on my mind. If you travel the ICW you know why. It took great personal discipline (something I don't normally have) to wait until I was off the coast to call and renew my insurance. I most likely only got a week or so of additional time but I promised myself that I would wait until I actually needed the insurance.

The only exception to this rule was noted in my previous post - purchasing parts outside the US. In addition to the higher prices VAT is a killer. Yes, you can get it refunded but that is another process and another wait.

I waited until I was crossing the Atlantic before I purchased a Sat Phone. I was pretty comfortable with the SSB radio as long as I was only about 500 miles offshore. But I was not comfortable with it when I was 1000 miles offshore. A note on that - I know there are people who long distance cruise with just a VHF radio. I guess they assume they can raise another boat if they get in trouble. During our 27 day transit from Tenerife to Sint Maarten we saw exactly 2 other boats and heard a total of 2 more on the radio. I don't choose to bet my life on VHF.

As mentioned in my previous post redundancy is another cost driver. When I originally went SSB I used The Airmail Home Page
Although the software is free - thank you Jim Coreman - the SCS Pactor Modem was about $1,200. Since then the folks at http://www.winlink.orghave created a new mode called RMS that does not require a modem. It is slower but substantially cheaper. When I purchased the Sat Phone (a IsatPhone Pro - Inmarsat I ended up getting email too. Not cheap as I pay for airtime but I am happy to have a redundant system on board. BTW you are right the cost of these phones is dropping - dropping even faster is the cost of solar panels.

Anyway, I have spent far to much time posting. That may be because it is 21 degrees outside and Reboot is covered in snow - in North Carolina. Oh well.

Fair winds and following seas.

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome