SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014

cranki is on a distinguished road
Re: $3000/mo cruising budget

Interesting thread with some good information. I am also working towards retirement and probably a 2-3K monthly budget for everything. Boat is paid for and I have no mortgage so I believe it is a reasonable figure. I am living aboard and gearing up while working (new dinghy, motor, replaced steel fuel tank, etc., etc.)

I did notice that the 5K budget was for a high dollar 53' boat. My insurance, maintenance and marina fees should all be significantly lower. I am on an older, solidly built 41 foot ketch. I do most of the work on her myself and consider it prudent, responsible, commonsensical to learn all her systems inside and out in order to be self reliant while out on the water. My cruising plans are somewhat modest; I want to knock around New England and the Canadian Maritimes and then sail down to Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean. I am not a big sight seer and love hanging around at anchor swimming, snorkeling, reading, picking guitar, riding my bike...all free. Thinking 2Kish for me alone and add another K to that for periods when my girlfriend is along as there will be more marina stays and dinners ashore.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook