SailNet Community - View Single Post - Adding a auxiliary outboard.
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Adding a auxiliary outboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I have often thought about doing the same thing you are proposing.

When I was cruising, I had a 25 HP outboard for my dinghy. I thought it would provide plenty of emergency power for my 42 foot boat (not to mention it could even be a lifesaver with a broken rudder) if I could figure out a way to mount it.

I haven't done it yet, but I keep thinking about using something like this.

So that if necessary, I could merely mount the motor on it, and then lower it to where it could power the boat. I have a swim platform on my boat that would allow me to reach the handle and steer it.

Like I said, I haven't done it yet, but I often think, why waste a motor and just use it for the dinghy?
this is what I have on my boat...it was done as the old palmer p60 engine was having trouble

Im leaving it there to use a a swim ladder platform to the davit cross beam and just in case I ever need to plop on an outboard

Im looking for a 15hp was we speak

my boat is 13k displacement but I have used an 8hp yamaha to test if it moved and it did quite decently

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
Zuma (02-04-2014)