SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
But, at least you're finally acknowledging one of the main problems I've been talking about since the beginning - nebulous standards like "one bluewater passage" being a real issue.

Again, for the hundredth time, the simple fix for the SDR, in my view, is to significantly raise the bar of experience for entry so that the lack of support in the other four areas I've mentioned isn't so much of an issue.

I really can't explain any more simply for you.
One can only marvel at your persistence, in your relentless insistence that the last fall's incidents show that the SDR has issues with the inexperience of their participants that can only be resolved by "raising the bar", safety inspections, more seminars, charging a fee for entry, or whatever...

All the while, without offering ONE SINGLE SHRED OF EVIDENCE that the problems experienced by any of the boats involved in SARs were related to the experience level of the crews, or problems likely to have been detected in a pre-departure ISAF safety check...

There is one, and only one, factor based upon the information we currently have available that all those boats had in common... Namely, that they wound up in the wrong place, at the wrong time, as a result of the timing of their departures and/or the particular routes they chose to sail... Numerous other SDR departed around the time of the 1500, which turned out to be the far better call in hindsight, and made it south of the Stream without any serious difficulty before the secondary front stalled over much of the fleet behind them, and the proverbial sh_t hit the fan...

Sometimes, even the best or most experienced can get it wrong, in the North Atlantic late in the season. We just saw a pretty clear example of that 2 weeks ago, after all... Your refusal to recognize that, your persistence in placing blame or responsibility on entities other than on the individual skippers and crews who undertook their voyages, and your call for "regulation", is sadly misguided, in my view - and seriously undermines the proper notion that offshore sailors themselves are the only ones to be held accountable for their actions...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook