SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yeah, the folks that run the Caribbean 1500 sure did a hell of a job educating this skipper about EXACTLY WHAT HE MIGHT BE IN FOR on that passage, alright... I'll bet he passed their ISAF-based Safety Inspection with flying colors :-)
An owner would have to pay extra for me to deliver that boat so I had time to strip that junk off and get the dinghy on the foredeck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hank's probably got more pressing issues on his plate at the moment, than be the one to be deciding who should or should not be permitted to venture out into the N Atlantic in Janu... uhhh, I mean November... :-)
Hank is a friend of mine and we've talked a couple of times since his adventure. I'll reiterate what I said before: Hank is one of the best skippers I know and I'm happy to have sailed with him. Disclaimer: I was a pro-skipper working for Hank's Offshore Passage Opportunities for a couple of years.

The entry requirements for the NARC are new, following the issues in the NARC a couple of years ago. The new rules and--I suspect--the recommendation to less experienced skippers and crew to consider the Caribbean 1500 have more to do with liability than anything else. The NARC, like the SDR, has its roots in the desire to provide an opportunity for supporting a bunch of folks heading in the same direction at the time.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook