SailNet Community - View Single Post - cored vs solid fiberglass hulls
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Religious War

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMiner
Aside from the obvious benefit of cored hulls being lighter, are there other drawbacks to having a cored hull vs a solid fiberglass hull? Are there different techniques for constructing a cored hull which minimize any potential negatives?
The subject of hull coring is a religous war amongst many sailors. I believe it a fundamental design consideration deserving careful thought. I do not believe the type of coring material matters relative to the risk of water intrusion, although some powerboat builders became infamous for junk filler.

The better bulders use solid glass sections around the keel and all thru hulls, i.e. nothing is cut thru the core sections (at least nothing by the builder...). IMHO the smarter builders use coring only above the waterline, and the smartest builders build all glass hulls.

If you want the skinny as to one side of the debate read the articles about cored hulls on Boat Hulls - Cores and Structural Issues: Online Articles by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor. One of them relates the story as to how a single set screw installed inside a wet bilge area lead led to a soaked core...

A lot of posters will say "not a problem..." and of course, it isn't until major hull damage happens to you... A friend of mine with a gold plated 42 from a big name Maine builder just replaced all the Airex hull core...otherwise "not a problem...".

Last edited by sailingfool; 04-16-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook