SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
If you ever hope to spend a night in a marina, and there will come a time you need to, you'll need $300k in liability, so get it now.

About the survey, only the craziest person alive would buy a boat without hauling it of the water to see what the bottom looks like.... so you may as well get a survey while you're at it IMHO.
Hello, I'd like to introduce myself as the craziest person alive!!!! Call Guiness and the TV stations, I want to milk my 15 minutes of fame.

I've bought two boats and didn't get a survey or haul out either one of them before purchase.

I may have spent some time in the water checking them out but that might take away my new title of Craziest Person Alive!!!!

I keep my boat in a marina, I move my boat to other marinas during regattas and have never been asked for proof of insurance. The world is a big place and things aren't done the exact same way they are done in parts of the US, thank goodness!

To rant a bit, I deal with charter guests from all over the world but mainly US citizens. Many are astounded that they can choose their own level of responsibility/safety and not have an agent of law enforcement chasing them down with a ticket book. You want to run around in the dinghy without a PFD, light, flare, noisemaker, etc. go ahead. Nobody will bother you. You want to put your kids in their without PFDs, go right ahead. You want to take a case of beer with you to drink on the way, fine. I'm not saying that I agree with not being as safe and prudent as possible at all times, I am saying that there are many places that still let a person choose their own destiny without heavy regulation of behavior. I've read posts about the water cops in FL doing all kinds of stops and searches, checking Y valves, expired safety gear and anything else they can think of. It's hard for me to imagine getting lulled into thinking that is normal. I'm not sure I could assimilate back into that type of society despite all the flaws of the society I find myself in currently. Rant over!

Last edited by FarCry; 01-30-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to FarCry For This Useful Post:
sharkbait (02-01-2014)