SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
there is an insurance thread that someone posted about risk /exposure etc.basically it showed your more likely to win the lottery than actually require the coverage you paid for.
I bought my C25 in October, 2011 and I paid $400 in insurance the first year I owned my boat. I spent at least one day of just about every weekend out there cleaning, polishing, repairing, upgrading, inspecting, etc. When I wasn't out there or at work, I was sewing new slipcovers, refinishing pieces that I brought home, patching sails, etc. in my living room. I lost track of how many hours, and how much money, I put into that boat. Almost exactly one year to the day after I bought her, Hurricane Sandy totaled her, and the insurance company paid up. I guess, to you, I hit the f***'ing lottery. To me, I watched many, many hours away from my family and friends get towed away to a scrap yard. But, on the plus side, the insurance company paid us what we had agreed (when the policy was written) the boat was worth, and that was more than the dollars (though not the labor) I had put into her. If that had been due to some pompous jack A$$ who thought he was "judgment proof" because he couldn't afford to fix my boat, I'd have made sure he couldn't do that to anyone else.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 01-30-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
Dog8It (01-31-2014), Multihullgirl (01-30-2014)