SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: 1989 Hunter 40 - A million questions.

Guys, guy, guys, I have to disagree slightly on this. I am advocating the use of a whisker pole - not going DDW. Without a whisker, you are forced to sail 180* AWA to keep pressure in both sails. I agree that is problematic. A whisker pole allows you to sail in the 175-160* AWA range with the security of not accidentally gybing and JAM racers know that those angles produce a lot more VMG than going pole-less at 180*. Smack and I have both have heavy cruisers so at the angles you have to steer under an A-kite (140-165*) usually gives you rotten VMG if your rhumb line happens to be DDW. Yes, a symmetric is the best of all worlds but you need to match the sails to the skill level of the crew. Which in this case means the two Smack Tykes. I donít think Iíd sleep well at night if one of those kids was driving to a course of 170* under a kite. My personal experience is junior drivers do perfectly fine with a whisker at night and tend to do poorly trying to keep a kite under control. If you guys visit the SSS site, you will know that a lot of them douse the kite, drop the main and run double headsails so they can get a good nightís sleep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook