SailNet Community - View Single Post - Magnetic Variance
View Single Post
post #28 of Old 01-30-2014
christian.hess
merit 25 solo "er"

Re: Magnetic Variance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
Well since no one's said it, and at the risk of outdated PCness, I'll repeat the jingles I learned back in Power Squadron and around the docks:

To get from From True to the Compass course to steer, you add Westerly error and subtract Easterly error. So, it's True, + - Variation = Magnetic, which + - Deviation =
Compass (and you add Westerly error and subtract easterly error for both variation and deviation, so in shorthand it's:

"TVMDC--Add W", (meaning True, Variation, Magnetic, Deviation, Compass, and add Westerly errors)

How to remember?? as the old non-PC sailors said,

"True Virgins Make Dull Companions--Add Whiskey"

And to go the opposite way, from Compass to True, it's ("CDMVT, Add E") or the jingle"

"Can Dead Men Vote Twice--At Elections?" (here in Louisiana, of course the answer is yes, ha ha)

There may be a more modern set of jingles, but True Virgins and Dead Men is what I grew up with, and I can remember the jingles when I can't remember the formulas.
when at captains school in ft lauderdale the lady teacher said it was

TIMID VIRGINS MAKE DULL COMPANY ADD WHISKEY

jajaja I see it can change a bit depending on who taught you, jajajaja

Islander 36 no longer for sale...its MINE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Planning maiden cruise for November-December 2015 to Panama Canal! The planning begins!!!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome