SailNet Community - View Single Post - One Last "All is Lost " thread
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: One Last "All is Lost " thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong but a proper jackline would have kept him on the boat instead of expending all the energy he did to get back on the boat. Also earlier deployment of the drogue would have stabilized the vessel into the waves and he would have most likely not done the first 360 that led to the dismasting in the first place.

All true but lots of people used to clip into the life lines and doing so in this case while creating a close call and depleting his strength didn't directly lead to his final situation.

Deployment of the drogue might have been a good idea or it might had made things worse, no one knows again, it didn't directly contribute to his finally losing the boat.

My challenge is not that in hindsight he couldn't have done something differently. Every time I go on the water there's something in hindsight I could have done differently.

The challenge is to find something the "director" got completely wrong. Something that either couldn't possibly happen or something that was so stupid almost any reasonably competent sailor would not have done what Redford did that directly lead to losing the boat and eventually possibly his life.

The lesson of the movie was that an experienced tough, prepared and mentally strong sailor (as a proxy for any man) can have a series of bad luck and not survive, **** happens. It is not a fun concept. We prefer James Bond where we fantasize jumping out of airplanes with skies and don't rumple our suit.

I have to admit I don't really like the movie particularly either, it makes me uncomfortable too, even though I got SmackD to say he loves it.

My premise that the the reason it makes us uncomfortable is not because of any technical mistakes the director made, their are none of significance, but because we don't want to admit our fragility and that is uncomfortable.

If the director wanted to make the movie longer he could have had Redford with a sat phone that happened to be stored in the locker where the container hit.
He could have had Redford deploy the drogue earlier and the cleat tore out.

None of that matters. The only thing that matters is that Redford was strong, reasonably smart and very experienced and things still went pear shaped.

That is true it can and does happen.
The real question is if we want to spend 10 bucks to watch it happen and call it entertainment. For most of us apparently not.

If Redford had rolled the boat found his way to an island and made an imaginary friend out of a soccor ball called Wilson and built another boat and sailed away we would have loved it.

Who doesn't want to see indomitable will overcome insurmountable odds.

But just because we want to see it don't mean that is the way it always works out.

So basicly you guys got nothen!!!

Last edited by davidpm; 01-30-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook