SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

Dog8It is on a distinguished road
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
Timr-
it would be convenient to the argument of the insurance requirements if I did feel no "personal responsibility " but thus is not the case.
Who? would be responsible for my action besides me?
as per your boat, home, and years of work etc. I think if you value them as I'm sure you do,it would be "irresponsible " for YOU to not insure yourself against loss resulting from others or risk loss on your own choice.
example - I paid $2000 for my boat, does that mean everyone on the water should carry enough insurance to replace/repair my boat? or that I need only carry that amount?
what if I have a ten million dollar boat and my paint job is worth more than all your assets combined? are you irresponsible for not carrying enough coverage for my paint job?
you see it now becomes a question of scale and proportion.
Am I prepared? you asked, as much as. I feel I need to be,are you.
You better be careful out there. A lot of us are still more than capable to go "old school" towards those who exhibit this type of reckless mentality. If you wreck my boat AND you think it is my problem because you don't believe in insurance or you "have no money in your pockets", I do not think you comprehend what you are getting into. We care about our boats more than you can imagine and we (or at least I) will NOT take this type of attitude lightly. Trust me, you really do not want to find out what we are capable of.

You are much better of being responsible for your own actions and, if something happens, be ready to make the other sailor & his boat right. No matter what it takes. Period.

Happy sailing. It is beautiful out there. I hope you get to enjoy it [responsibly, that is].

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook