SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I'm not rich either. My highest income I ever made was $153,000 a year and I'm 55 and have a 42 foot boat that's paid for. It takes a while to learn, but it's money management, not money production, that determines what you can do.

I was making $21,000 a year when I bought my first cruising capable boat, a Cape Dory 25D, in 1985 (nothing but Hobie Cats before that). I was driving a 1967 Bel Air, my grandmother gave me, while my friends, who couldn't understand how I bought that boat, were all driving brand new cars. It's priorities, too.

The only thing keeping me from taking off for a couple of years on that boat in 1988 was a wife that said "no". She was afraid it would derail both of our careers to take a sabbatical at that time. We're divorced now.

Read the obituaries and see how many people younger than you are in there every week. Then wonder what they thought they were going to do next year.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 01-31-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook