SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I work in the military so I'm definitely not wealthy but I am smart with my finances. I have a house that's near the base, I have a car that's paid for, a truck I bought a couple years ago so I could tow my boat that I also got shortly after the truck. I wanted to get a boat, paid for, and be able to do what I can with it when I can. Deployments have slowed down and work related trips have too. The first 15 months of having my boat, it was on its trailer in a storage lot while I put some work into it. Got it into the water this past Jun/Jul and been doing some other projects along the way. I sailed it once so far and had a wonderful time. I thought of starting off with a smaller boat since I am still relatively new to sailing but at the same time, I'm very happy with the boat I did get because it could be the only boat I ever have. There's other military people in my neighborhood that have fishing boats or pontoon boats sitting in their drive way.

You don't need a fancy or expensive boat, just something that gets you out on the water and enjoy your time to kick back and relax from the work week and all is good.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook