SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Sorry Smack, I am with Jon and Dave on this one. I really think it was just a bit of bad luck. As I have said before, though I have not participated in rallies, I think they can actually add a level of safety because it gets people really talking things through and maybe someone forgot what another sailor remembered.

I do agree with you also though: there is a misconception that boats travelling in a rally will be safer together once they leave the harbor. After 12-24 hours, you wouldn't see another single boat! We left one year for the Tortugas with several other boats. WIthin hours, we were all separated. Twelve hours later, you couldn't even see their nav lights! So the fallacy is that you are safer travelling as a group, which is not the case.

Still, like Jon, I am not convinced some so-called expert coming on my boat is going to keep me from having problems. The things that happened on the SD were, in my mind, just a lot of bad luck and poor weather forecasting.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook