SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I've been fortunate to have sailed pretty steadily without owning a boat in the last few decades, ever since moving south from New England, where I did own one-designs, delivered some boats, and raced in college.

As a member of the "OPBC" since then I've been able to borrow boats once or twice from a friendly owner I'd crewed for, to take a local family cruise when my kid was younger. And done an occasional delivery with a neighbor or friend who'd bought a new boat. Raced some. Been a Race Committee volunteer some. Paid someone's slip rent for a couple of years and got to sail that Ranger 32 (which they didn't sail, so I did) until they sold it. And for the past 14 years or so, have been teaching sailing as a part-time gig at a couple of local facilities here, occasional half-day charter captain. And they've been gracious enough to let me borrow one of the teaching boats on occasion.

So life is good. It has helped to have had a small-tonnage Captain's license. But mostly it's just be dependable and enjoy teaching new (or not so new) sailors, which I do enjoy.

I lack the autonomy and ability to fit out a boat and go wherever whenever, which you who own those great boats have, my hat's off to you for making it work. But this has worked for me so far, and I guess I could always charter a boat somewhere, some day.

Or buy one?? Never say never.... ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook