SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing "big boats"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingJackson View Post
I used to think I could never have a 50+ boat because the operational costs are 10x to 15x what I currently see. Now that I can almost afford to piss away an obscene amount of money I begin to realize that it's not about the money. It just would not be as much fun. It turns into a management task, coordinating crew, reviewing plans with marina staff, scheduling dock space. You cannot just show up anywhere with a 55' boat and expect to find dock space. I don't want to do planning, I just want to go sailing.

GTJ
There are many 55 ft boats that can be easily sailed by a couple even solo. I don't know were you sail but in Europe it is the opposite regarding to find a marina place: you will have more difficulty in finding the space for a 36ft than for a 55ft simply because they are not interested in having spaces for small boats that occupy proportionally more space and are not so profitable. So they have lots of space for big boats and a much smaller number of places for smaller boats. The spaces for small boats are also on the ugliest place in the marina, away from everything.

Of course those big places costs a lot of money but since you can piss a lot of it, than it would no be a problem.

Here on the last years the size of the average cruising boat that you actually see cruising increased a lot. 12 years ago I had a 36ft and that was a small cruising boat. Today I have a 41ft and that continues to be a small cruising boat Most cruising boats are between 42 and 55ft now, at least the newer ones. If you look at the several mass market brads you will see that their flagship is always increasing in size. That increase is proportional to the demand of bigger sailboats.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook