SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 01-31-2014
socal c25
69' Coronado 25

Dock
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I live in So Cal where just about everything costs a brick of gold and average income is half a brick of silver but people make it. The marina I am in I believe to be the least expensive in my area (no moorings) at $225.00 for a 25 ft. boat (year round) isn't bad for the amount of enjoyment you can have, we have several islands to sail to that are a full days sail and many harbors that are also a days sail away. I like to say that we have a chance to get out of town for the cost of food and fuel (boat and cooking) that's a few dollars for the weekend unless you want a slip or mooring, that's a few more dollars. I have friends that "get out of town" and spend several hundred dollars for a weekend and then thats it for a month or two. Some think I have money to throw away on a boat (I don't) I am frugal with what I spend on it for maintenance and I do all the work myself (except sails and rigging). My point is I have the ability to go out every weekend or just out for a day with little cost 225/8=28.125 that's slip rent divided by 8 weekend days a month, even if we only stay at the marina we are still "out of town".

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing." - Kurt Leisenfelder

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome