SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See more at
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I am surprised. The Canadian Transportation Safety Board assessed some responsibility to a tug with a poorly lit barge after a collision in English Bay (Vancouver).
Transportation Safety Board of Canada - Marine Investigation Report M99W0133
Yikes!
This excellent report reinforces my rule of simply staying away from tugs and large commercial vessels in general. While the recreational "skipper" was clueless (and he had radar!), the report paints a picture of a industry (in that area anyway) with many more cavalier practices than I would have anticipated.
As just one example:
"Over the past 10 years the TSB has issued safety communications concerning the substandard display of navigation lights, especially aboard working barges. Of specific concern have been lights that were incorrectly configured, had insufficient range, or were not functioning. Any of these deficiencies can seriously compromise the ability of mariners to see another vessel and take timely collision-avoidance action."

I always find these reports interesting and informative. Anyone know how to find them in the U.S.? I looked at the USCG site and didn't see anything. Maybe the USTB?
Edit: Seems California and several other states don't allow the USCG to publish specifics of recreational boating accidents. Only raw data. Too bad!

Last edited by L124C; 01-31-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook