SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

DonScribner is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

(I was just reading my stuff and it sounds like I'm ripped. I'm not at all, just voicing my perception on the subject so if I offend, go easy on me)

Where I stand, if you're approaching $100k or passed it, you are into wealthy, not so you have diamonds dripping, but so you can afford half a mortgage (for an average family) per month for recreation. I'm estimating all told, $700 per month in insurance, mooring/slip fees, maintenance, diesel, supplies and sailing expenses (rented moorings, food). As a trailer sailor, my expenses are way down. $400/year insurance, another $300 in gas. Hauling is done every weekend. Maintenance is done by me in the driveway (much to the chagrin of neighbors). For most people, sailing (cruising) is still an elitist past time with lots of money required. And those who can't afford a blue water capable boat are looked down upon as less than sailors. I have found a particular bias against people who a) aren't willing to drop "just $700" for right chartplotter b) can't afford to take ASA101, ASA103, ASA105, ASA106 et al. c) didn't crew for three years on TransPac training ships d) Trailer their boats. It is still a money thing. But who loves sailing more, the guy with a fully stocked galley complete with fridge and gimballed oven or the guy that has to spend an hour of hard work just to float, then sit in the weather at all times and eat cold food or use a camp stove? In my eyes, the person who must endure the most inconvenience but still endeavors to sail wins every time.

Now, many folks reading do not feel this way about trailer sailors. Thanks for being that way. But others plainly do. If you do, check your income and boat size.

My wife and I sail the coast of Maine, about 1000 nm per year. Most trips are overnights, many are multiple days and hundreds of miles, dodging rocks and ledges, lobster buoys, ferries, and . . . larger sailboats who are the give-way vessels but either don't know the rules or . . . look down on smaller boats. I'd bet I can count into the teens on that one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook