SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
because I'm not a moron.
I'm more than capable of seeing anything a surveyor could see,probably more.
without time constraints.
I guess if your not skilled, capable, mechanically inclined and/or just a simpleton you need a surveyor.
the thing I have trouble with is if you're unable to determine if the boat is junk or jewel,who will you defer to when you're underway and things start coming apart? or is that what the epirb is for in your world?
not directed at any individual just a general question /observations.
You're missing the value of a survey.
The value is not in the fact that a surveyor knows more than you or is a better mechanic than you or understands systems better than you... indeed you may actually be the all-balls gawdam McGyver/ Don Casey/Nigel Calder rolled into one you think you are...
but you haven't got the title. You haven't got the letterhead that says "Surveyor" on it....
and from a saving-money-when-buying a boat standpoint, that is all that matters.
A would-be buyer poking around a boat, saying "yeah, i think the decks are soft, so I'll give you $2000 less than you're asking" carries no authority. That same buyer turning to a seller with a surveyor's report with the moisture meter readings noted? That's got some value- it means something.

I wouldn't get a 32' bayliner buccaneer surveyed either- it is a pretty simple, straighforward boat wiht low cost systems, and a replacement can be had for under $5K. But when we start talking about larger more expensive ($10K )boats wiht more expensive systems, as the OP is, then a survey by a reputable surveyor will probably be free...

But hey, if you want to argue against free, have at it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook