SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where to te forced go sailing downwind?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Where to te forced go sailing downwind?

It takes more force to make your boat heel more. Wind dumping helps but it is still more force on the rig than at lower wind speeds..

So if what the OP is saying is that there is more force when DDW then beam reach why does the boat not settle down once it is forced to turn 90° from DDW?

The bow starts to bury and the boat leans forward to one side or the other and initiates a violent turn towards the wind. I would bet that the strongest force on the rig in that maneuver is when the boat is beam to.

Should not be hard to figure out if you have a decent Loos gauge. Measure the static tension on the rig at rest and then measure it at DDW and beam reach in consistent force winds. You will have to measure each shroud on the one side and combine them. You would also have to measure each backstay if you have two like my boat. It will probably take a decent amount of wind to overcome the static tension. I would do it but my mast is down for the winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook