SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

Money means something, making a good living means having the ability to do what maybe others can't do or can't afford to do... but it comes at a price for some...

I own my own engineering company (3 man business) and with it comes monetary rewards and I make a better living than most even some doctors/lawyers... but it comes with a negative price of having to travel away from home for extended periods of time... 9 months in China, 9 months in Seattle, so far 6 months here in Montreal and no end in sight... this comes at a price of being away from my family (I do get to see them regularly for a week or two), home, garden, cars (collector cars), sailboat, etc... the only points worth this style of work is the fact I am saving a ton of money for the eventual sail-off with my wife... my wife is a special education teacher and has 13 more years to full retirement, I have less than 8 years more to go... we are mostly debt free and only business taxes to contend with... I want a larger sailboat when it's time to go and probably will purchase a 5 year old or less sailboat (or yacht ) and outfit it for our extended cruising but it will not be over 35 feet, this to keep costs down... we figure an average of $1500-2500 a month just cruising expenses alone (no medical or major boat expenditures).

I miss being on the sailboat I have now and have someone watching and caring for it while I'm gone and wish I could sail away now but reality is it's better to make the money now and have the funds to support the sailing than waiting and never being able to sail where we want as long as our health holds out. 8 years is not long but anything can happen in life... no sure bets.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 01-31-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook