SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

CruisingCouple is on a distinguished road
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
what else you got?
you might convert me.
Our liability insurance only costs us $100/year for $500,000 combined single limit or whatever they call it. All the marinas here require it to have a slip. I don't remember what the minimum is but I think it's $100,000. I'd have to check my contract for our slip.

But I've never seen where they require it to go the fuel or transient docks.

It's not you you have to insure for. It's the dude who bought the $200,000 powerboat and doesn't know anything about how to skipper one. But he's got enough money to make everybody else liable for his mistakes. He spends most of his life in a high-rise office building and on weekends he turns into Captain Courageous with his toy. You can be sliding into the fuel dock and Captain Courageous will cut you off just because he can to get there first. And when you bump into him because he cut you off he gets all bent over the $10,000 scratch in his boat that is actually his fault. We've seen it. When you get into an incident like that and you got liability insurance you're not on your own. That $100 or $150 a year buys a lot of lawyer power because all these insurance companies got lawyers working for them to try to get out of paying a claim and get the other guy's insurance to do it. It levels the playing field.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook