SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

Bruce_L is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

All I know is that I am at my marina often enough to notice I am the only guy on my pier that sails most of the time. I sail almost every weekend unless its some really terrible weather. I sailed 17 miles last weekend. Yeah it was sorta cold but the wind was perfect that day. I had the entire gulf to myself. I rarely see anyone else go out. Not even the big 50 foot powerboats. I think the big boat owner is either working all the time to pay his bills or its too much work to take the boat out and clean up afterwards so they never go out. I really cant figure it out. My boat is a whopping 19', smallest in the marina. This keeps me in the cheap monthly slip price range. I am far from rich but I know what it takes to have a good time on the water. So if you are willing to do a lot of the work yourself, get a used boat and keep it docked and have some fun. I dont think I would sail as much if I had to trailer my boat and rig it every time though. Just too much work and wasted sailing time for that day. Paying a monthly slip fee is well worth it to me.