SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

Joe another thing you might want to think about it the possibility of hurting a person not just property damage to a boat.
You served our country, and for that I'm thankful. You probably are very good at what you do with a lot of experience, I get that.
But what if something goes wrong on your watch? It might not even be directly your fault.
The rudder linkage may break causing a loss of steering. Your throttle may get stuck in gear and not go into neutral. You can get an overwrap on your jib sheet and not be able to release the jib. Any of these things happening at the wrong moment may cause you to loose control of your boat and hit someone else.

What if the guy you hit has a little 6 year old boy in the boat and your hitting the boat causes the kid to go flying and he gets hurt? What if he gets hurt bad and needs surgery and hospitalization and rehab.

If that happened even if you are personally judgement proof I suspect you would be the happiest guy in the world if you could look the father in the eye and tell him you got the 500k policy not the 100k policy as you tell him to not worry about the kid because you have good insurance.

I love to hate insurance companies just as much as the next guy but my personal experience with boatus has been all positive. They were pleasant on the phone, prompt with the damage assessment and prompt with the check in the two instances I was involved with.

Even if I was judgement proof if I caused someone physical injury I would find it pretty hard to live with myself if I couldn't at least do something for them. At least that is how I would define taking responsibility for my own actions.

Last edited by davidpm; 01-31-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook