SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
ok,I see how liability insurance can benefit myself and others, thanks for the insight. I'll start budgeting for the coming season.
I guess I was/am jaded due in a large part to the ten's of thousands I paid out years ago when I owned a transportation/trucking company. never had a claim but paid over $15000.00 a year for each unit ! it was outrageous and they didn't even give me a hug.
looking back, trucking really sucked, almost glad it's over even if I did loose it all,it's good to be back home w/family and shoemaking/repair it's much more rewarding ,particularly making corrective footwear for people.
Thanks for that insight into your life.
It sounded to me like you are a good guy that just had some ups and downs like most of us and is tired of getting the short end of the stick.

Have fun sailing and keep in touch about your shopping experience you sound like an interesting guy.

As far as the survey goes if you are spending about 10k and it is not required for some reason I think luck plays a bigger part than we would like to admit. Probably the same in most of our life.

You could get a great surveyor who not only does the survey but puts you in touch with guys that can source you cheap parts and knowledgeable professionals and point out something subtle and expensive anyone but him would have missed because he owned the same model boat.

Or he could be a dud and fill out a form and charge you 500 bucks.
You never know.
If you ran trucking company for years you don't need me to tell you that sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook