SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

One of the sport fishing boats I worked on in my youth was t-boned while sitting in its dock slip by a 20 something in an uninsured Sea Ray type boat full of "babes in bikini's"...

The owner had a 1% hull deductable which amounted to about 19k. When the owner discovered the kid had no insurance, and that this was his second uninsured incident, he let the lawyers out of the cage..

Long and short that kid was still paying for those damages for nearly 10 years.... He was lucky the owner only went after him for his deductible because the owner paid the 40k + out of his own pocket to repair the damage.

He did not believe his insurance company should be coughing up for it. In reality he let the kid off pretty easy.. When I asked why he did it he said the kid needed to learn that life and your actions carry responsibility..... He said his responsibility was to pay for the poor choices he'd made.... He also believed that doing this was his moral obligation to society and if he did not he was just par of the problem.. To this owner 19k was a drop in a bucket and his whole point was to drive the point of responsibility home to a kid who had none, TWICE...

This was an owner who I sat I a parking lot with for 40 minutes waiting for another car owner who's door he "dinged" when a gust of wind ripped his door fom his hand. He tried very hard to write the young lady a check but she refused and claimed she could not even see the damage... I lost 40 minutes of my life but learned a lot about Richard and how he felt about personal responsibility..

If you can afford & you are self insurred, to go up against an owner like Richard, and pay the dues and the consequences of an accident, by all means go for it..... That accident was a few inches fron going from 40K to six figures and this was not a high speed at all just a moment of inattention..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-01-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook