SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for the know how... now...
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
I realize that we are all posting on a 4 month old post, but now is the time of year a lot of newbies are getting into their first boats. I agree that you can learn a lot in books, but if that 10,000 pounds is my dockmate I want them to have some hands on instruction. See the pissed off thread to see what yard bills are like for damage to other boats, and he was not a newbie.
Of course, a friend that is also a sailor and knows how to explain things is a great option. If they are not good instructors learn first and then learn from them later. ASA 101/102 is a small investment and does teach you basic skills and lets you practice them on a similar boat.Many of the ASA classes are taught on Catalina 30's in fact. Another option is to hire a captain (ASA instructor or other) for a day on your boat. Costs a few hundred dollars and you get enough knowledge to lessen the carnage to yourselves and others.

If in fact you feel that you already know everything I only hope that you are far enough away to be of no danger to me, and close enough for everyone watching to get a great laugh. And as long as you are far enough away we will laugh before we offer to help you. Remember, this is like a car and a gun......it usually hits what you are pointing at.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook