SailNet Community - View Single Post - What ever happened to USyacht?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2002

SloopSailor is on a distinguished road
What ever happened to USyacht?

Jeff, Some of your information on the US Yacht line is in error. My brother and I owned a US 27 together for 3 years, he still has it. We did modifications to the boat to suit our needs and I can say with absolute certainty there is NO CHOPPED GLASS used in the construction. The hull is very solid glass roving. The deck is is fairly heavy glass with balsa core--marine ply where hardware is attached. The only real problems the US Yachts have is the windows tend to leak, but they are easily sealed.

What really killed the US Yacht line for Bayliner was the fact they introduced their Capri line of powerboats at about the same time as the US Yachts. The Capri line sold so well they needed the space to manufacture the powerboats. Pearson made the entire US Yacht line, except for the 33 and 42 for one year although they did not produce many of them.

By the way, if your US Yacht 27 is slow, you might need new sails. We had no trouble sailing with much larger boats than ours.

I currently have one of the rare US21''s. Totally different from any of their other boats.

If anyone wants more information on US Yachts just drop me a line and I will provide what I can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook