SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't have to be rich to sail
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014

Oldboyracer is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't have to be rich to sail

I have a slightly different take on it all , you don't have to be rich but you really have to want a boat . I have sailed since I was 18 racing on 16ft skiffs and then on yachts , till the kids came along and responsibilities took over so sailing took a back seat . Went out occasionally on whatever came along that would float , but still wanted my own wife always said no . 20 years later and divorced twice , paying child support I figured now or never . I put down a small deposit on a unit in an area none of my friends really even want to visit but it was cheap , have the same car for 15 years , and bought a 30 ft yacht that needed some work . It took 2 years of hard work but not a lot of money to get her to sailing shape again , my friends are having trips over seas and all round the country ( I live in australia ) they have new cars and very nice houses . I have a yacht and it's mine and the bank has a large share of my unit . In 2 weeks I bring her down the coast and move aboard renting my unit out . I don't know how it will work out I might hate it but who knows . I do know that I am doing what I want and am happy with my lot in life . My friends still don't understand but I really don't expect them to , (you either love boats or don't ) but they help me when they can . My parents are saying get going and go now your 50 ( they left home to go round oz in a caravan 12 years later they got back ) do it while your physically fit . So as far as I'm concerned I'm rich cause I'm chasing my dreams . I read once and I can't remember where or who said it some thing along the lines of " all men dream when asleep but the ones who dream when they are awake are dangerous because they might do something about it "
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook