SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing "big boats"
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing "big boats"

I sail a 36' boat and with a reverse transom it's really more like a 34' boat. While I have thought of getting something a little larger and heavier for long distance cruising, I'm not ready to cut the docklines yet and not convinced we need a bigger boat. Yet.
So, 40' might be really great to have but I also know I DON'T want 50' and bigger. I don't want to have to rely on complex systems, electric winches for everything, and above all I don't want to feel like I'm tending to a computerized ship. Big boats just don't seem to have that intimate interface that mid sized boats (and especially dinghys) have. Having sailed on BIG boats, most recently TransAtl. on a 65' Oyster, it didn't feel like sailing. Comfy and lots of toys to play w/ but I felt somewhat removed from the experience of SAILING.

I really like the fact that I can take my boat out by myself in most conditions that one would want to go sailing and not have to scrounge up crew if the Admiral is working. And we went cruising for 9 days this fall and never felt cramped. Maybe if we had to go for a month w/o replenishing I'd feel different but for now it's fine.