SailNet Community - View Single Post - 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: 10K$ boat --- Are Insurance and Survey REALLY mandatory?

Joe,
Thank you for your service. We owe men and women like you a very deep debt. I didn't serve, grew up in an area of the country where a lot of my teachers weren't all that enthusiastic about the military. But as I worked for the Coast Guard, on Navy contracts, for Congress, etc., I came to appreciate just how much you guys sacrifice for the rest of us, no matter how short or long your tour of duty. I'm also sorry to hear about your business. It sounds like you had a pretty good run there for a while. But it also sounds like the new gig, especially the ability to help others, is more personally rewarding. I hope, in the end, that it leads to much happiness with you and your family.

Thank you also for keeping an open mind as this thread has progressed. BLJones, David, Maine, and others have said more eloquently what I tried to say, and it seems to have sunken in. I regularly sail with my family (actually, that's basically the only time I sail). So, in my mind, as I read your comments, I was envisioning an accident in which I not only damaged someone else's boat, but also hurt their family. The thought of walking away and sticking someone else with the cost of care is something that I can't bear. Hopefully you'll find that the cost of the insurance will be insignificant compared to the peace of mind that it gives.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook