SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
post #5961 of Old 02-02-2014 Thread Starter
Xc 35

Talking about X-Yachts and Niels Jeppesen, I visited his last work at Dusseldorf boat show, the XC 35 and I have only one word to describe it: Cute

That is a very nice little boat that did not have convinced my wife that prefers the quality of French interior design. Maybe I have a better eye for the quality of building and finish that in this boat is superb:

There are very few things that I don't like on this boat, being one of them the big cockpit table that is not removable and that takes away a lot of space from the cockpit that being the one of a 35ft boat is not big. One of those folding ones that disappear on the cockpit floor would be a far better solution.

But I really don't understand the market concept of this boat. They say:

(The XC 35) "will become the newest member of the highly praised and awarded long distance Xcruising range. The Xc 35 is designed to offer a smoother voyage than typical performance cruisers, by having a relatively heavier displacement and deeper hull sections. These deeper V-shaped hull sections help the Xc models give a more comfortable motion in large waves, especially when heading upwind under sail or engine."

But then the boat has a beam of 3.52m, similar to other mass market cruising boats has a weight of 6450 kg that is comparable with the one of a Bavaria 36 and the boat has not more rocker than the typical mass production cruiser so I guess that all that talk regarding a superior comfort in sea motion is just talk.

A very nice boat, but who would chose such a small boat to long distance cruising, a boat with limited storage and tankage that cost the price of a more seaworthy and comfortable much bigger boat? The basic price of this little beauty is over 190 000 euros.

Contrary to what they claim this is much more of a nice coastal luxury cruiser than a voyage boat...and I don't believe they will sell many of them. The 38 and the bigger boats on the XC line make a lot more sense in what regards long range cruising in comfort and luxury.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-02-2014 at 10:37 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome